Friday, July 16, 2010

An Adventure to the Lake District

I know, I've been really bad about posting for the last forever. But in my defense, I've been busy. So before I set out on a week-long road trip through Scotland on Monday, I thought I'd better get started on the backlog of entries to write up before I come back with even more pictures and stories to share.

Way back when, a friend & I went on a day trip to the Lake District. Oh my gosh, go there. It is absolutely beautiful. On the bus ride up, I snapped some photos of fields and sheep, as you do, and finally got decent shots of the fields of rapeseed.



Back in the States we know it as Canola as in canola oil. Its a big crop for the Yorkshire area and the UK as a whole and for a while there were tons of bright yellow fields around.

And here we go approaching the Lake District. The area is pretty mountainous for England and has lots of lakes and cute little towns, which serve as hot vacation destinations for both Brits and international visitors. It is also well-known for associations with Wordsworth and a slew of other 19th century poets, as well as for Beatrix Potter, who lived in the area and whose home you can now visit (for a fee) and have tea with some of her characters. Now enjoy some pretty pictures.





So as you can (hopefully) see, the region is gorgeous, and there's something for pretty much everyone. Some of the towns are clearly more tourist-centred and swarm with camera-wielding foreigners (guilty), but others are much more laid back and idyllic. There are boat rides and canoe rentals and theatres and restaurants and gorgeous gorgeous scenery. Not to mention these guys!


I tried to get some wool, but she'd just sold her last three bags full. Also, I'm putting up a slew more photos on flickr later today, so check there too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment